Shopo is an open platform where everyone has the freedom to buy products and sell products (from pre-loved to brand new stuff). The Shopo team takes the safety of our platform very seriously and does its best to keep it a pleasant place for all. However, there are always unforeseen circumstances that every user has to look out for.
Here are some tips for buying and selling safely on Shopo:
- Read listing descriptions - Sellers often provide detailed descriptions of items within the listing. Read, read, and read before completing a deal to avoid nasty surprises.
- Ask questions - Don't make offers blindly. Ask the seller questions on products, request for more product pictures or proof of authenticity and clear your doubts before confirming a deal.
- Do your research - If you are unsure about the authenticity of an item or feel that a listing looks suspicious, don't make an offer until you are assured that the listing is genuine. Listings which are suspicious should be reported to the Shopo team so that it can be removed from the platform.
- Use the offer system - Buyers are able to leave feedback for sellers only after an offer has been made and accepted. To ensure that you can leave feedback for a seller should the deal not be to your satisfaction, always make an offer and ensure that the seller accepts your offer before proceeding to make payment for an item.
- Ask for registered / tracked mail or a certificate of posting - This is especially essential if you are dealing with expensive items. Don't take chances!
- Read user feedback - You can assess the credibility of a seller by looking at the user rating of the seller on his or her Shopo profile. If you're not convinced by the feedback, don't proceed with the deal.
- Check your item - If you are dealing via meet-up, check your item before making payment to ensure that you're getting exactly what you paid for.
- Remind your buyers to 'Make an Offer'– Ask your buyers to use the feedback system. This allows the buyer to leave you feedback which helps you in increasing your credibility. This will help in building trust with the community.
- Wait to receive payment before mailing out items - If your buyer has opted for postage, always make sure that payment has actually been made before you mail the item out.
- Suggest tracked / registered mail where possible - Having tracked mail gives both you and your buyer peace of mind that an item has been delivered. This can also help you, as a seller, to avoid buyer scams.
- Ask for a deposit for high-value items - If you are dealing with an expensive item and the buyer has requested for a meet-up to complete the deal, ask for a deposit from the buyer prior to the meet-up to ascertain his or her sincerity.
- State your policies clearly - If you have any return, refund or exchange policy, make sure to communicate this to your buyer prior to completing a deal.
- Only use trusted payment methods which are familiar to you – Use trusted payment methods only that are agreeable to both parties. Don’t try new payment methods that are not familiar as that could lead to payment frauds. Please note that Shopo is not anyway linked or will take responsibility if something goes wrong.
- Check and double-check - When receiving payments from third-party payment sites, do make an effort to also double check the sender’s e-mail address or phone number to ensure it is from a legitimate source.
- Always deal within Shopo - Try to avoid dealing via SMS or WhatsApp. This way, we are able to look back on our records and assist with investigations should the need arise.
- Common sense is king - Use your instincts and logical reasoning to assess the safety of each individual deal. Things that are too good to be true often aren't.
- Don't bring large sums of money with you - If you are meeting up with a user from Shopo to complete a deal, avoid carrying large sums of cash on your person.
- Always meet in well-lit, public places - Self-explanatory. Shopo may be a community platform, but always remember that meeting up with an unfamiliar user is the same as meeting a stranger, so be safe and bring a friend with you if possible.
- Be prompt - If you suspect that you have been scammed or are a victim of a scam, report the scam promptly to the Shopo team so that we are able to assist you. All incident reports must be made within 60 days of your knowledge of the scam or fraud.
We encourage you to use the platform to connect with scores of people. Buy and sell from the people around you in a positive manner. Who knows, you might gain a friend or two in the process:)
If you find any users who are misusing the app, feel free to let us know at email@example.com